Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Operation done - what happened on Sunday

I went to the hospital for 7am and joined a queue with 4 other "electives" the term that is used when people volunteer for an operation.

I was due to be number 2 on the list (subsequently changed to first then back to 2 as I will explain later).

I was first seen by a nurse who did the usual pre operation checks (blood pressure weight etc.) but also for a blood sugar measurement as I was/am a diabetic. The reading was over 20 if it means anything to you but in any event much too high.

Next I was seen by the anaesthetist who immediately became concerned about my bloods and ordered insulin - not something I have ever taken. He also had a cold.

Finally I saw my consultant who was to perform the operation. Both he and the anaesthetist checked that I knew what was going to happen.

At about 9.00 am I got changed into a gown and was administered some insulin. After about 20 mins another blood sugar test indicated a reading of 19. I was then put to number 2.

I was walked to theatre about 10.00am and had another blood sugar test - reading this time 18. I wondered if they would operate. I was given 200mg paracetemol.

Before I knew it I had a cannula inserted and I was drifting away in three deep breaths after explaining that my daughter was a medical student at Imperial College.

Who knows what happened next except I awoke in the recovery room and was aware of my neck. I think to operation took about 20 minutes. I chatted to one of the nurses about the Queen and Balmoral. When everyone was happy I was wheeled to the ward to my own room and had monitoring stuff attached. I should add at this point that my blood pressure of 111/69 was remarkable but I was keeping calm. What was more worrying was that my blood sugars on the operating table rose to 23 - they were worried.

I got a telling off about blood sugars from the nurse on the ward but I explained I was waiting for a referral but did feel neglected.

Lunch came about 12.15 but I really struggled because of the air in my stomach and could not belch which was distressing.

My wife arrived back for visiting time at 1.00pm (she had been home for 3 hours) and the long wait began. It would take another 7 hours to get me discharged. Various people came and went including the surgeon and the anaesthetist (another telling off about sugars) but I did record an 8.1 this time. I decided to take pain relief at 5.00pm. I the ate a chilli con carne and some jelly and ice-cream with some gusto.

It seemed to take an age for discharge what with a busy Sunday and a changeover. Eventually I did (with another talking to about blood sugar levels) and came away with pain relief and a sick note.

I had to go back to the ward on Friday 7th August for stitches removal and a probable visit to the lymphoma unit where the fun will begin.

It felt good to be out of the hospital and I phoned my mother on the way back. Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment